James S. Jacobs
Jim Jacobs enjoys a broad-ranging practice that has an emphasis on general corporate law, business planning and counseling. He takes great pride in his long-standing client relationships, many of which are measured in decades.
Jim regularly handles a wide variety of contract matters, business acquisitions and financing transactions for clients that include privately held middle-market and family businesses and emerging companies. These clients are engaged in numerous industries and professions.
In his health law specialty, Jim represents individual practitioners and physician groups on issues relating to practice mergers and acquisitions, managed care contracts,employment agreements, joint ventures, buy-sell agreements and other business arrangements.
Since 1983, he has represented operators of airport retail concessions. He advises both ACDBE minority owners and non-ACDBE majority owners operating across the country in business and leasing issues in every stage of the business lifecycle of an airport concessionaire.
Recent transactions include representation of: a hospital system in connection with the purchase of a multi-specialty group of several dozen providers; a national trade association engaged in the sale of a proprietary database; a contract pharmaceutical manufacturer’s joint venture profit-share product transactions; physicians renewing employment agreements or becoming employed by hospitals; physicians in sales and purchases of endoscopy, dialysis and multi-specialty surgery centers; and an airport retail concessionaire’s purchase of more than two dozen locations from another airport concessionaire.
Although it has been a decade since he served as President of Beth Am Synagogue, he proudly remains active in a number of leadership roles there.
- Health Care Law
- Business & Corporate Law
- Airport Concessions
- University of Maryland, College Park, BA, 1975
- University of Maryland, J.D.
- 1978, Maryland
Memberships & Affiliations:
- The Bar Association of Baltimore City; Maryland State Bar Association, Inc. (Member: Corporations, Banking and Business, Taxation, and Health Law Sections; Special Committee on Law Practice Quality; Committee on Representing Emerging Companies)
- American Bar Association; American Health Lawyers Association.
- Phi Beta Kappa; Order of the Coif. Research Editor, Maryland Law Review, 1977-1978.
- Member, Board of Regents, University of Maryland, 1974-1975.
- Lecturer: Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education for Lawyers, 1989-1998;
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants, 1988-1994.
- Former Board Member: Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital; Beth Am Synagogue; Mount Washington Improvement Association; Association for Corporate Growth-Maryland Chapter; Lupus Mid-Atlantic, Inc.
- Member, Airport Minority Advisory Council.